Working On Doors

 Working On Doors

Chris Lenhart

    The door I am designing in Unreal Engine 4 is a 'double door' , meaning that the door will slide and split from the middle allowing the player to move into a new area to explore. Though if I can I would like to try and make the doors pivot outward away from the player to incite in their mind that there is no need to return to the previous area once passing through the doorway.

Reading through Liz England's blog I thought many of these questions really pertain to what kind of game is being made alongside what features it has, if the game is a single player game then questions pertaining to coop are then irrelevant. So for the questions I am choosing to answer I am doing so from the point of view of a single player third person boss fighting game.  

The Door Problem:

  • How does the player open the door? 
    • The player will stand on a certain spot, say a pressure plate, in front of the door that will allow it to open and enable the player to progress. 
  • Do doors lock behind the player?
    • Some doors will lock behind the player forcing them to progress and disabling them from backtracking through the same way they came in.
  • Are there doors in the game?
    • This one seems sort of redundant, asking if there are doors in the game when I am writing a something entirely about doors. Though its quite important, I recently played Risk Of Rain 2 where there are no doors in the game for the player to engage with in any manor. So you still have to ask, "are there doors in the game?"
The Other Door Problems:
  • Concept artists: 
    • The role of the concept artists would come up with various looks for what door could be, they could be decrepit old former selves of once majestic doors or even such things as a iron bar jail door. 
  • Level designer: 
    • As a level designer, maybe since the doors are tied to pressure plates some might need more weight and that could be free form. Meaning that anything the player could think of to put enough pressure on the pad could work. 
  • Animator: 
    • This one is rather simple, the doors could be triple A quality but if they don't move properly like opening or closing that isn't very helpful if the player has to move through said door. 
    Getting back into Unreal Engine 4 was a bit rocky. Though I do remember working as a group last year with Ty, Hunter, and Elijah on creating a level which had doors in it. There were trigger boxes, animations for the door to play, and other tid bits I remember which most of this is jogging my memory back to where it should be. I still have difficulties following sometimes what each component does in the visual scripting but talking through it and giving them simpler names helps. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titanfall deserves a Titanfall 3 BLG#3

Unreal Engine 4 Overlays

Flow Charts and Discover-ability